Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cherry Winks

A couple of years ago, we stopped in for a visit with my Aunt Dianne and Uncle Jerry around Christmas time. My Aunt served us these cookies and I loved them! I was surprised to hear that my Grandma Lowery had beeen making them for years, because I didn't remember ever having them before. But we never really saw my grandparents around Christmas time, I guess that's why...(we did see them A LOT growing up, just not at Christmas because they were "snow birds")

2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. chopped dates
1/3 c. chopped maraschino cherries
1 Tbsp. maraschino cherry juice
2 1/2 c. crushed cornflakes

Sift together first 4 ingredients and set aside. Mix the shortening and sugar and then add in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Add in the sifted dry ingredients, then mix in the pecans, dates, cherries and cherry juice. Shape into balls about the size of a Tbsp., roll each ball in crushed cornflakes and place on a greased baking sheet. Top with a piece of a maraschino cherry. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally remember these cookies! They are amazing!!!
Darla