Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken in Lemon Sauce

This just had to be the first recipe posted. I have made this so many times, I no longer need to consult my recipe card. I have also found several shortcuts and will include those in the recipe. For a couple of years, this is one of the two meals that our daughter, Sophia, would eat (the other was tacos). This recipe came from a cookbook that my mother had - I can't remember which one. One time when I was home from college, I was looking for something new to make and have been making this ever since!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ stick butter
2 Tbsp. dry white wine
Juice & grated rind of 1 lemon
¼ tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 c. heavy whipping cream
grated parmesan cheese
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms

Melt butter in skillet, cut the chicken up into bite-size pieces and brown it until no longer pink (~10 minutes). Remove chicken and put it in an oven-safe dish and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to broil. Sauté the mushrooms in skillet and then put them over the chicken.  Add lemon juice, peel and white wine to skillet – cook over medium heat about 1 minute, then add salt & pepper and gradually pour in cream, stirring constantly until hot – do not boil. Put parmesan cheese over mushrooms and chicken, pour cream sauce on top, broil until slightly brown. Serve over your favorite kind of pasta or with mashed potatoes.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't this recipe call for ground white pepper? ED.

Dawn said...

yes, "technically" :) I just use regular though.

Bethany said...

shouldn't that say "1 [lemon]"?

remember when you made this for us in Alabama? :)

Bethany said...

have you ever tried this with your lemon rice? OH. MY. WORD. I did. I loved it!!!!!!!! this is such a freakin' good recipe! I've made it a million times too! I totally don't use a recipe and I totally do major shortcuts and I serve it with rice sometimes...I guess we started out serving it with rice then we went to potatoes then when we got sick of that I tried the angel hair pasta and loved it!!!! now I'm back to rice again! hahaha

Dawn said...

yes! thank you for being my editor! imagine leaving out the lemon?!