Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ricotta Cookies


These are hands-down our favorite cookies! I made these for the first time the Christmas we were engaged. I found them in a cookbook called Better Homes and Gardens - America's Best-Loved Community Recipes. When my friend Kelly and I get together every year to make Christmas cookies, these are definitely at the top of the list.

2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
15 oz. carton ricotta cheese

Frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
Nutmeg (optional but necessary in my opinion)

Beat sugar and butter on medium speed. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add half the flour, the baking soda and salt, beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour and ricotta cheese. Drop by teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 12 min. or until bottoms are slightly browned. Tops should not brown at all.
Frosting: blend cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Frost each cookie and sprinkle with nutmeg. (makes 5 dozen).

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I can't not comment on this! That cookbook was a gift to me from Q when we were dating and it's always been my favorite because of that. You made them with me!!! Remember that Christmas at our apartment we were crazy cookie bakers??? (our boyfriends had to take the back seat to all our baking haha)I LOVE all those memories of us living together. It's when I fell in love with cooking. ...and started my cleaning business...I gave these cookies to my clients and they freaked! these always get rave reviews don't they???!!! LOVE THEM!

Dawn said...

I forgot that part of the story! I mean, I knew you had the cookbook first, but didn't remember it was a gift from Q. and for some reason, I don't remember making these cookies with you? I made them one night for Jon when I also made that mushroom soup where I put an entire garlic bulb in instead of a clove - hahaha, along with some bread from that cookbook. Anyway, it makes sense that we then loved them and made them for Christmas. and of course I remember when we were crazy cookie bakers! It totally messed up Jon's plan to ask me to marry him at our weekly "Friends" party - remember? ahhhh, such good mems from 245 1/2 E. Pearl Street!!!!